Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they wish to believe, often with their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the near future they are most vulnerable to doubt and conspiracy theories. The past six months people throughout the globe are extremely disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not really much due to the deadly aftereffects of the virus compared to restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it has brought in its wake. They desperately have to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to simply accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a hoax, it’s only a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is done and the social media as always helps it spread-at times much faster compared to killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the reality that over 806 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that normally the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for some countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young people too and everyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US which we won’t make an outline here just to avoid vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here that this writer got a social media forward giving an url to articles by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is really a’political hoax ‘. Once we mentioned earlier plenty of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other when compared to a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that just a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action against the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a chain of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory reduces at the basic premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon must be occurring each year, and why then in 2010 must certanly be so different! Governments need not have gone on a crisis drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds simply to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some which we narrate below as arguments to break such kinds of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring plenty of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the effect of a virus) when it comes to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful keeping in mind the infected numbers below 100,000 the united states is still fearing a second outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to avoid its spread. Its aggression against India can also be explained as an integral part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million so far and is still on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a state of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is to account for a death rate of over 14% (seen in several countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization keep on telling’lies’that the brand new Coronavirus is very dangerous that could probably stay for a lot more than couple of years and the worst is yet in the future despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to have accepted in the beginning that this pandemic is the largest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the world keep on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly even worse compared to Great Depression? Specifically, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it has achieved in development so far.
5. Why is this kind of mad rush throughout the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the least such an intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever that could be.
In the last few days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 daily with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being truly a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we should not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to make a kill when it comes to profit. For example, in case a link for articles with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets think of the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.