Stonework adds a wonderful dimension and element of character to anyone’s home. Rock or natural stone may be used in a number of ways, including in landscaping, fencing, in sculpture, on the surface façade of the house or in interior design. Stoneworkers have used a range of these methodologies for centuries. Even the ancient relic of Stonehenge was a masterpiece composed of this sort of material. Stonehenge was erected back 2,500 BC and it’s still in existence today. Does this natural material have lasting ability? It sure does! Below are a few things to think about:
– Landscaping: Garden paths or borders for flowerbeds and shrubbery may be constructed of river rock or something similar. What a complementary way to include borders to the garden, back or front yards. Large boulders may be craned into the site for an enormous and dynamic exterior design statement. These boulders may be simply for décor or may be places to sit or climb. Play structures may be climbing mazes out of the Mother Nature supplied products. Pebbles or crushed granite may be spread in driveways.
– Fencing: You can find arrays of fencing techniques made out of rock. Sometimes the boulders are cemented together bricklike. This can create a fascinating looking and extremely durable fence. Another method is to construct wire grates and containers into which the stones are poured. stonework restoration kent This is an artful treatment for fencing that doesn’t require cement. It allows for the current weather and elements to feed without wearing away the adhesive material. It’s a wonderful, contemporary design statement, as well.
– Sculpture: Merely stacking boulders and rocks together can be quite attractive and become artistic sculpture. Carvings are another way to generate any number of statuary, bird feeders, fountains, or interior art. Think “Zen” or “Mount Rushmore.” Marble and other rock statues have been around for literal eons. There’s no limit to the possibilities.
– Exterior facades: Many architectural designs have incorporated stonework into the surface façade. Some examples might be a full exterior of stone, a halfway-up façade to fit a lumber motif, or accents like a chimney. Nothing says “quaint,” “cozy cottage,” or “elegant” like exterior stone. Sandstone, flagstone, marble, river rock, you name it; it may be done.
– Interior decorating: Stones have come inside with current day interior decorating. Bathrooms, kitchen and floors sport an array of looks with this durable and attractive material. Fireplaces, mantles and stairways look both rustic and luxurious with beautiful natural rock. Granite countertops have been most of the rage in upscale kitchens and bathrooms for years. Home builders come to the quarry and select the colors and the look they are after.
Some choose to really have a particular stone type brought in while others use what’s natural to the region. Many areas have jutting beauty that rivals the Grand Canyon in abundant supply. The Granite Dells in Arizona, like, is one particular striking locale. The hoodoos of Utah appear to be fairylands and were erected by Mother Nature. Stonework, man-made or naturally supplied, adds dimension and class to homes and neighborhoods.